gezin Kaufman-Pohlman. Hannover Oldenburg ca 1800 datum emigratie naar USA

• Member Group
E.L.Smit

De onderstaande vraag ontving ik uit Arizona, zijn er data en correcte namen te vinden van emigratie en geboorte van  dit gezin?

Karl/Charles F. Caveman  b: 1820-1822 Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany

Hendrick/Henry Caveman b:  12 Sep 1825 Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany

John Frederick Caveman b: 03 Jan 1928 Oldenberg, Lower Saxony Germany

Karl died at a young age so I don’t have any idea when he emigrated but the younger brothers emigrated between 1842 and 1843.  I never found any emigration record.  Their mother was here in 1860 and I have no idea when she emigrated because the early Census did not ask that question.

In the early years they spelled the name: Kavermann, Kaverman, Kaveman, Kaferman and

Later the names were Caveman, Cavemann, Caverman and even Caseman.

The parents as the sons remembered their names on the Death Certificate when they died –

So hopefully the informant was correct.

Johannes Hendrik Kaufman b: between 1792-1800 – that was my guess.  I think he died and that is when the boys headed for America.  The Kaufman also has several spellings.

Mary Elizabeth Pohlmann b: 1800 Oldenberg, Germany

She was Elizabeth Kaveman, age 60 (1800) born Oldenberg, Germany – living with son John Frederick and his family in the 1860 Census.  No death record found for her but I have written to the cemetery where her son John Fred. is buried and I am waiting for an answer.

Karl/Charles F. Caveman – I guessed he could be Karl in Germany – other spellings. He was buried as Carl.

Hendrick/Henry Caveman – I guessed on the Hendrick too but there are other spellings.

John Frederick Caveman – he never changed his name on any record other than the surname.

Bij voorbaat dank 

Evert Smit

• 1 month later...
  • Member Group

Deze vraag heb ik op 09-11 ook oop het Stamboomforum geplaatst.

Evert.

Please login or register to see this link.

• Member Group

Ik heb gezien dat men op het SF al heeft opgemerkt date er bitter weinig achtergrond is voor deze familie. Weken geleden had ik al eens naar dit onderwerp gekeken, maar heb het toen eerst maar in de “too hard basket” gestopt vanwege een “far too narrow story line”. Ik vermoed dat dit waarschijnlijk ook de reden is waarom de SF crowd tot nog toe wat ongewoon stil is.

Ik heb nog geen definitieve emigratie gevonden, maar hier zijn wel wat dingen die aan mij voorbij kwamen en misschien hebben andere onderzoekers hier wat aan ... (Ik doe het in het Engels zodat de Amerikaanse familie het zelf kan lezen en ook kan checken of ik altijd de juiste familieleden hebt gevonden)

1 - Location/Timeline

The original post mentions that mum Elizabeth was “living with son John Frederick and his family in the 1860 Census”. However, not only Fred KAVERMAN and his young wife Elizabeth (nee LUKEN), but also Charles KAVERMAN, his wife Mary (nee SPECKMAN???) and their kids can be found in the same dwelling in 8th Ward Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio:

This was clearly not the first sighting for Elizabeth, because in 1850 mum, Charles and Frederick are living together in 8th Ward Cincinnati as well:

Karl died at a young age” was rather confusing as it seems that he was still alive in the 1880 cesus i.e. abt 58Y old by then:

??? NB This guy Charles from 113 Hopkins st dies 63 Y old in March 1885 (although all of a sudden his “chair maker” occupation had become “shoemaker”?).
However, I assume that the actual issue is that Karl/Charles died before those later Census events containing approx immigration years! Eg 1842 for Fred in the 1901 Census (

). It mentions an 1858 naturalisation … has anyone ever checked this? I wasn’t able to find it, but apparently quite a lot of stuff was destroyed by (I believe) a fire.

2 - Parents

Possible death for dad:
The 1850 census mortality schedule (ie persons who died during the year ending 1 June 1850) contains a Henry KAVERMAN who died in the 9th ward of Cincinnati. He was 66Y and died in July (i.e. 1849). Has this guy been checked out?

Possible death for mum:
The Cincinnati Volksfreund has an obit (date: 24 Oct 1868) for an Elisabeth KAVEMANN. She is 68Y, 2M when she dies on 23 Oct 1868. Your family might need to check this in the actual paper.
On 4 Dec 1868 a will was presented and admitted to probate for a Maria (Elizabeth) CAVEMANN. This would fit fairly well with the obit date. N.B. The beneficiaries were Maria CAVEMANN and CHARLES CAVEMANN. The actual probate/will doco might contain more useful info.

3 - Original Name

I find it hard to justify that the original name would have been KAUF(F)MAN(N). In those days, many foreign names would have evolved into an anglicized version, but in this case it would have been a very quick change. With all the Germans in Cincinnati I can’t see any reasons to hide their German background or to adapt so quickly. It is not impossible that their surname had been KAUF(F)MAN(N) and not some version of KAVE(R)MAN(N), but I’d like to see some proof first.

4 - A third sibling called Henry?

Finally, can somebody supply proof that Henry is indeed a sibling as the only one I can pinpoint has a father called Bernard. Some links for this guy:
1870 Census:

1880 Census:

1910 Census:

1916 death:

rgds, Sylvia

Edited by Ozlady
  • Member Group

Sylvia dank voor je uitgebreide info,

ik ontving uit Arizona de navolgende aanvullende informatie.

Evert

Karl/Charles F. Caveman        Married 1853-1854 in Ohio        Anna Maria Speckman

b: between 1820-1821 Hannover, Lower Saxony, Germany    b: June 1829 Hannover

d: 20 Mar 1885 Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio                                   d: 11 Sep 1902 Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio

Parents: Johannes Hendrik Kaufman                                            Parents: Gerhard Herman Speckmann

Mary Elizabeth Pohlmann                                                               Clara Helenkamp

1860 Census taken 20 Jun: Chas. Kaverman, age 39 (1821), born Oldenburg, living with wife Mary and children: Clara and Edward in the 8th Ward, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Real estate value $3,000. Personal Estate $600. Occupation: chair maker. Elizabeth Kaverman (indexed Raverman) age 60, (1800) born Oldenburg living with Charles.

1870 Census taken 07 Jun: Charles Caverman (Index name) age 50 (1820), born Hanover, living with wife and four children in Central Division, 8th Ward, Cincinnati, Hanover, Ohio. Personal Estate $400. Occupation: chair maker.

1880 Census taken 04 Jan: Charles Kaveman, age 58 (1822), born Hanover, both parents born Germany, living with wife 3 children, son-in-law Henry Cramer and mother-in-law Clara Spieman at 113 Hopkins Street, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Occupation: Chair maker.

Carl Cavemann born 1821, died in March 1885 Cincinnati. He is buried at St. Joseph Cemetery, Cincinnati.

None of the records gave year of immigration.

Two of the records stated that he was born in Hannover

Hendrick/Henry Caveman        

b: 12 Sep 1825 Hannover, Lower Saxony, Germany

d: 07 Jun 1916 Cincinnati, Hanover, Ohio

Parents: Johannes Hendrik Kaufman

Mary Elizabeth Pohlmann

Married: Elizabeth Drees/Dries about 1852-1853. Elizabeth b: 1830 Germany – parents unknown. d: 1858.

Married: Bernardina Raker/Reghar between 1859-1860 in Ohio.  She was born in Hannover. 

Parents: John Henry Raker and Anna Rewfel/Reufel   Both born in Germany.

Married: White Fawn (a Sioux Indian) no info on her, may have died in childbirth – one child, a son.

1870 Census taken 11 Jul: Henry Kauverman (Index name) age 45 (1825), born Hanover, living with wife Bernardina, son Andrew, daughters Mary Ann and Catherine and Henry in dwelling 503, Ward 8, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Occupation: Drives lumber truck.

1880 Census taken 11 Jun: Henry Kavermann, age 52 (1828), born Germany, living with wife Diena and three children: Catherine, Frank and Frederick, at 181 Hopkins Street, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio.

1900 Census taken 08 Jun: Henry Cavermann (indexed Everman), age 75 (1825), born  Sept 1824 Germany, a boarder, living  with the Joseph Raker family at 502 Abigale, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Emigrated 1842, in the U.S. 58 years, naturalized.  He could read, write and speak English.  Joseph Raker is a brother of Hendrik’s 2nd wife, Bernardina.

1910 Census taken 19 Apr: Henry Caseman (Index name), age 86 (1824), father-in-law, born German, widower. Living with son Andy at daughter Catherine's home at 1044 West Liberty Street, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Emigrated 1843 Naturalized.  He could read and write.  Naturalization papers not found.  During a riot in 1884 the courthouse was burned and many records were destroyed.

Immigrated 1842 – 1843

Hendrik’s death record had many errors. – Father Bernard – Mother unknown.

John Frederick Caveman                 Married:  15 Sep 1859 Ohio     Mary Elizabeth Luken

b: 03 Jan 1828 Oldenberg, Lower Saxony, Germany                        b: 16 Jan 1842 Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio

d: 12 Feb 1910 Cincinnati, Hamilton Ohio                                          d: 26 Jul 1930 Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio

Parents: Johannes Hendrik Kaufman                                                  Parents: Johann Gerhard Luken -Germany

Mary Elizabeth Pohlmann                                                                     Mary Ann Brockmann-Germany

His Death record: Father: John H. Caveman, born Germany - Mother: Mary E. Pohlmann    

1860 Census taken 20 Jun: Fred Kaveman, age 31, born (1829) Oldenburg, living with wife Elizabeth in the 8th Ward, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Real estate value $3,000. Personal Estate $600. Occupation: chair maker.  Brother Charles, his family and John and Charles mother living next door.

1870 Census taken 09 Jun: Fried Keveman (Index name) age 42 (1828), born Oldenberg, Germany, living with wife and three children: Josie, Julia and Francis in the city of Aurora, Dearborn, Indiana. Personal Estate $100. Occupation: chair maker.

1880 Census taken 11 Jun: Fred Kaveman, age 50(1830), born Oldenberg, Germany, both parents born Germany. Living with wife and three children on Clay Avenue. Occupation: traveling agent.

1900 Census taken 12 Jun: Fred Caveman, age 72, born Jan 1828 Germany, living with wife and four children at 1624 Clayton Street, Cincinnati City, Hamilton, Ohio. Married 40 years.  Emigrated 1842 and lived in U.S. for 38 years. Naturalized.  He could read, write and speak English. Occupation: commercial traveler.

Immigrated 1842

• Member Group

Tja het belangrijkste deel had ik dus zelf al uitgewerkt en ook heb ik dingen vermeld die je familie schijnbaar nog niet had. Het is duidelijk dat mijn vorige post niet is bekeken, want geen van mijn vragen zijn beantwoord ... ik had liever gehad dat die vragen wel waren beantwoord want misschien helpen die om de echte achternaam + immigratie te bepalen.

i.e.

research 1858 naturalisation?

1849 death of a Henry KAVERMAN?

proof of KAUF(F)MAN(N) surname?

1916 death for Henry has different father. I can accept that errors in certificates are possible, but I need to see some proof of this from another (preferably primary?) source ...

(see my previous post for more background info)

and a new question: Have you found Henry in the 1850 census as he's not living with his supposed mum and 2 siblings?

Edited by Ozlady
  • Member Group

Heel eerlijk gezegd, Sylvia, dat verwondert me niets. Ik heb door de jaren heen incidenteel contacten met Amerika gehad inzake (hun Nederlandse) voorouders en ik kreeg echt nóóit antwoord op gerichte vragen. Wel hun eigen onderzoek, wel speculaties, maar geen antwoorden. 

• Member Group
I researched Bernard Kaverman and found the 1860 Census.  I have never seen this before but before opening the Census
there was a note that Gotfriedt Marx (born 1813 Hesse-Darmstadt) was a relative.  He and his wife Mary and daughter Helen
were in the 1860 Census.  Maybe another helpful lead?

Dit bericht kreeg ik gisteren
Evert
  • Member Group

@ Sylvia,

Hierbij enkele antwoorden uit Arizona en  het is Hendrick/Henry waarvan de mensen af stammen 

Most Naturalization papers in Cincinnati (Hamilton County) were burned during a riot.  

I did not find Henry in the 1850 Census.  The earliest Census was 1860.  The earliest record in City Directories was 1871.

Henry’s Death Certificate gave his father’s name as Bernard. 
Certificate of Death File #37557 – Registered No. 3316
Henry Kaferman – b: 14 Sep 1882  d: 07 Jun 1916 St. Francis Hospital, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio
Name of Father: Bernard Kaferman, Germany   Name of Mother: unknown, Germany

Henry is the link that is for the family that I am researching.

Please login or register to see this image.

• Member Group

At the moment this topic is a dog’s breakfast because of assumptions, errors and repeats while this is a complicated topic that needs to be kept very tight. It is very important to read and question everything! e.g. Henry’s father supposedly being a Bernard is something that I’d already mentioned as being a possible issue in my first contribution (incl a link to his DC). And, IMHO it seems rather screwy that somebody (Gotfriedt Marx) who is on page 97 of the 1860 Ward 12 census is known to be related to someone (Bernard Kaverman) on page 388 of the 1860 Ward 12 census (FYI I have been able to replicate this  issue for another name i.e. be aware that Ancestry and other sites can contain occasional system bugs). 

So let’s get back to basics first!

• Before we start looking at any possible parents, immigrations etc, I want to get Henry’s documented life/timeline in America as complete as possible. In my next reply I’ll be supplying everything that I can find for him and you’ll need to check it thoroughly (incl any links). Let me know if there are any questions, errors, or if you can add details (with proof) that will help us to understand Henry’s story. N. B. I’m not too worried regarding the completeness of his children’s details except when they can help us to understand Henry’s life.
  • I think that we can be in agreement that presently there is NO proof that Henry and Charles/Frederick were siblings. So for now we are going to shelve everything regarding Charles, Frederick and their mum and dad and ONLY focus on Henry your actual relative.
  • Additionally, I think that Henry’s relationship with a “White Fawn” could be a bit of a red herring. I doubt that he is the Henry G CAVEMAN who fathered a child born in Montana around 1880. However, if you have any information that proves conclusively that your Henry is the father of this Frank Charles CAVEMAN, please supply those details. Until then this is another item that will be shelved in order to simplify things.

Before I forget, I’ve got a question. You mentioned the following:
1900 Census taken 08 Jun: Henry Cavermann (indexed Everman), age 75 (1825), born  Sept 1824 Germany, a boarder, living  with the Joseph Raker family at 502 Abigale, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio. Emigrated 1842, in the U.S. 58 years, naturalized.  He could read, write and speak English.  Joseph Raker is a brother of Hendrik’s 2nd wife, Bernardina.”
I’d love to know where it is documented that Bernadina Kafermann and Joseph Raker were siblings as I haven’t been able to find this information yet …

Sylvia

• Member Group

Henrich / Joannes Henricus / John Henry KAUFERMANN/KAFERMAN/KAVE(R)MAN/CAVEMAN (etc) b abt Sep 1824-1827 Germany,
        d 7 Jun 1916, bur St Joseph Cem (DC:

), occ: Teamster, Laborer, son of Bernard
- NB Henry uses the surname “KAUFERMANN” when he marries in 1848 and 1864!

Marriage#1 9 Jan 1848 (Catholic) St Joseph, Cincinnati West End (civil MC:

)
To:
(Maria) Elisabeth(a)/Elizabeth/Eliza DREES b abt 1829 Germany, d before May 1864
- There is a probable burial for her at Holy Trinity in Jun 1863

Marriage#2 2 May 1864 (Catholic) Holy Trinity -

To:
Bernadina/Diena/Dina KETTELMAN nee RENNEKER b abt 1835
Germany, d 3 Apr 1892, bur St Joseph Cem (

)
- NB Her maiden name “RENNEKER” was mentioned in her burial record
- On 28 Feb 1854 Bernardina RENNEKER married Henry/Joannes Henricus KETTELMAN/KITTELMAN (abt 1832-Jun 1863) a teamster and sawyer in St Joseph, Cincinnati, West End
- The KETTELMAN family in 1860 census -

(FYI: The older child would have had a different mother and the younger one seems to have died just before his father)
- Could 1863/4 have been the time when Henry Kaverman starts working as a teamster i.e. did he take over from Dina’s first husband?

Census:
1850 Census – still can’t find it
This one for 1860 Census? (“Henry Coffman”), residence: Ward 6, Cincinnati, Hamilton (

)
1870 Census (“Henry Kauverman”), residence: Ward 8, Cincinnati Hamilton (

)
1880 Census (“Henry Kaverman), residence: 181 Hopkins Street, Ward 16, Hamilton (

)
1900 Census (“Henry Cavermann), residence: 502 Abigail, Cincinnati Ward 3, Hamilton (

)
1910 Census (“Henry Caveman”), residence: West Liberty Street, Cincinnati Ward 21, Hamilton (

)

Cincinnati Directories:
In (at least) the 1871-1892 directories Henry KAVE(R)MAN(N), teamster is living at 181 Hopkins. But I suspect that he might have moved there a few years before 1871, because I found the following 3 earlier entries for 181 Hopkins:
1869 “H Cabemann”, driver
1868 “Henry Gaferman”, driver
1867 “Henry Cabeman”, teamster

Other possible entries:
1864: “Kauffermann Henry, driver, n.w.c. Wood and Third
1862: “Kavelman Henry, lab., e.s. Ramsey n. Of Front
1861: “Coffman Henry, lab., 507 W. 4th
(If I manage to find any earlier entries that seem to be possibilities, I’ll add them to this list)

A rough overview regarding Henry’s children (Is incomplete and could be a bit buggy due to lack of good records, but that’s okay for now as I don’t want to spend too much time on them):
? Mariam Elisabetham b 23 Nov 1848, bap 25 Nov 1848 (Catholic) Holy Trinity, Cincinnati, West End
? Christina b 25 Mar 1852, bap 25 Mar 1852 (Catholic) Holy Trinity, Cincinnati, West End
Johann Henrich b 8 Nov 1853, bap 8 Nov 1853 (Catholic) Holy Trinity, Cincinnati, West End
Andreas Ludewig/Andrew Louis b 5 Nov 1855 (DC has 25 Nov 1854), bap 6 Nov 1855 (Catholic) Holy Trinity, Cincinnati, West End,
          d 14 Jan 1916 St Francis Hospital, bur St Joseph Cem (

)
          occ: teamster (1916), never married
Joannes Mathias b 4 Nov 1857, bap 4 Nov 1857 (Catholic) Holy Trinity, Cincinnati, East End)
? Franklin b abt 1860
Mary Ann b abt 1861
Catherine b abt 1865/7, d 23 Mar 1939, burial St Joseph Cem (

)
John Henry b abt 1870, d 24 May 1871
Dina b abt 1871, d 20 Oct 1871
J.H.F (=Frank) b 21 Aug 1874, d 1945, burial St Joseph (

)
Elizabeth b
27 Sep 1878
Josephine L b abt 1879, d 27 May 1880, burial St Joseph (

)

Joseph Frederick b 06 Jun 1880, d 02 Aug 1880 (

)

Edited by Ozlady